Sunday, June 10, 2007

VW Classic 2007: 1950 Tempo Matador



This truck is about as far from a VW 1500 as it gets, but I just had to post some photos of it. What an incredible restoration. The attention to detail is mindblowing. Jonny Lieberman and I saw it as soon as we entered the show, and we just stood there slackjawed like everyone else. Then we remembered to start taking pictures.



It's a strange looking thing, but the design has a great integrity. Tempo built the VW-based Matador from 1949–51, until VW stopped supplying engines due to its competition with with the Transporter. Less than 1400 were built and only a handful of them survive, making the high level of this restoration even more incredible. I believe that's the gas tank right behind the front sheet metal, in front of the driver (!). Love those suicide doors.


The interior is a little on the spartan side, as you'd expect.


The seat had been removed to reveal the 25hp engine mounted under the seat, under a transverse leaf spring with the transmission forward. It's a mid-engined front-wheel-drive aircooled VW truck. Strange and very, very cool.


A nice detail I've never seen before in photos is the design of the back of the cab, with its reference to the shape of the VW hood.



Everything about this one is right. No detail was overlooked, including the cargo.


To me it was the standout of the show. Makes the 1500 Ghia seem ordinary in comparison.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comliments on my Matdor. I devoted almost two years of my life to comlete the truck. Eric Parsons (Los Angleles, CA). 818-4060-0349. Just acquired a 1950 Tatra . Gotta keep the bizarre quotient active.,..

Scott said...

A Tatra! You're not kidding about maintaining the bizarre quotient. Is it the really nice one that was just on eBay, or is it a restoration project? Either way, I'll keep an eye out for it on the LA streets. I've only seen one other Tatra on the road before, a 603.

Anonymous said...

i have one Tempo Matador for sale
info (@) calderone-online.com

Anonymous said...

Still have it
info@calderone-online.com

Anonymous said...

Its a shame that that Tempo was restored it was way to good to restore, Not may in the condition it was in before it was restored... Although it was well restored there are allot wrong as in not the right parts such as speedo, idiot lights, ignition switch etc etc, I have 2 Tempos and heaps of NOS parts. I am restoring an early 1951 Tempo matador, Keep your eyes open it will be 100 percent correct...

Scott said...

After I wrote that post I found photos of the truck before it was restored, and it did look like a clean original example that could have been preserved as is. That said, even though it may not be a completely "correct" restoration it's a very impressive and detailed one. Looking forward to seeing your restored Matador.

Anonymous said...

I have a 1959 Tempo Rapid Truck. I've had it sitting for a few years and I haven't found or heard of another one in the US. I'm entertaining the idea of selling it because I don't know if I have the time to devote it that it deserves. If anyone has any info at all about the existence of another one or a restoration that's been done, please contact me. jpwymbs@gmail.com

Thanks

Phil Jarvis said...

I'm currently restoring a '51 Matador and need various parts - can anyone help? - please get in touch philjarvis@ossgb.com

Thanks, Phil.