Sunday, June 3, 2007

Ever had the feeling you've been someplace before?



Once the engine was running there was a popping/clacking/tapping noise coming from the right side that I couldn't trace. It was a little loud at idle but became very apparent on the road when the engine was put under any kind of load. I checked and rechecked the valves, but they were set exactly as they should be. I checked the rocker assembly to see if the studs were coming loose (something the early heads with long rocker studs are prone to), but that wasn't it. The valve adjusters were fine. One spark plug was a little loose but that wasn't the source either. I checked carefully for exhaust leaks but found none.

I decided to take it over the the shop that built the longblock to get their advice, and they were able to narrow down the source of the noise to (they think) the lifter for the #2 exhaust valve. Everything else checked out as normal, so the only way to find out what's going on is to open it up again. I pulled the engine yesterday and tore it all down again, only 15 miles after the last teardown. I am confident, though, that I'll be able to get it reassembled in less than eight months this time!

So, I won't be taking the Ghia to the VW Classic in Irvine next weekend, but I will be going -- in an Audi.

No comments: